Tuesday, April 8, 2008

murder, most foul

an old friend called me from poland, so i spoke
with her today as i walked around my block (probably 20+ times)

i noticed at the far upper corner of the block by a stop sign an
enormeous ant convention was taking place

i stopped to observe them, as my friend talked, wondering what they were all so excited about

each time i passed by, i got close, becomming increasingly interested in they're activity

on a subsequent trip (maybe 6th or 7th after the initial encounter) i looked on in horror as a young boy proudly stomped on the swarm of ants, his kid brother cheering him on, and mother, oblivious(!!!!), walked ahead pushing a stroller

so as not to interrupt my friend, i stifled my mad screaming "NO!! STOP!!" and covered my agape mouth with a shaking palm

once the boy ran off, celebrating his victory with arms waving, and chanting "I'm the KING of the ANTS!", i rushed to my crouched position, assessing the damages.

the death toll was massive.

a neighbour happens along, and is concerned with me and asks "Is something the matter?"

at this point, i HAVE to excuse myself from the conversation (in which i had remained an active party) ane explained to the man about the ants, and the "veritable genocide" (verbatim) which had taken place, and that i felt very sad, because i had enjoyed watching them

he sort of stared at me, and in a kind-of unsure sincerity served with a half-smile he says, "Well, they'll come back"

and I reply "But they've lost so many"

he looks at the pile of dead, nods, and says "Yes, that's quite a bit... but, it'll be ok..."

and we make eye contact, and I say "...ok" and then "Have a good night" as he walks (quickly) away

but he said "OK!" and waved, so
I'm sure he thought I was only a little eccentric, which is better than if i were a total loon

when i returned to the phone I asked my friend, "Did you hear that?"

yes,

she said.

she had.

No comments: